This weather. I can’t really take it anymore. The sub-zero cold snap has really got me down. I’m cold to my bones most days, and even my wool socks aren’t able to protect my toes from feeling frostbitten. Everyone seems a little on edge that there’s currently no end in sight for this arctic air.
I’m trying my best to be positive, despite the weather. After going back through my blog, I realized that my 2013 goals post was a little downer for my tastes – full of stress and agitation. I am keeping my nose to the grindstone on my goals, and so far, I’m trudging through the cold and accomplishing a lot while maintaining a positive attitude.
Image found here
Here’s the progress I’ve made:
- Fitness: I quit my gym! Even though it was only $10 a month, I just didn’t see the value anymore. The last time I went was over a month ago, and I left feeling… icky. Not because of my workout, but because of the atmosphere. Even before the New Year’s resolution-ers came in I was getting bad vibes. I feel like I’ve hit my stride with yoga classes (going 3-6 times a week), lifting weights at home, and once it’s nice out I’d love to get back into walking more. I’ve also been good about drinking more water and tea – I’ve been hooked on Yogi “Bedtime” Tea and making my own apple cider vinegar “tea” a couple times a day.
- Financial: I paid off my credit card, contributed to a 401K for the first time (With a 9% match! Holy buckets!), AND opened up a Roth IRA account. I have my sub-savings accounts all set up for automatic withdrawal, and charted on my Excel spreadsheet for the entire year. I feel solid in my financial house. I’m so lucky! Not sure I’m in any position to purchase a couch, but I’ll just keep waiting and saving.
- Relationships: Pete and I went on a date to see jazz legend Dave Holland and his quintet last night. Pete cooked us a delicious stir fry for dinner, I made cookies for dessert, we got all dressed up and enjoyed amazing music from some of the most talented jazz musicians playing and touring today. Today I’m going on a girl’s day-date with my mom, auntie, sister, and cousin. I’m looking forward to thrifting and catching up with some of my favorite people.
- Home and Hobbies: Well, I’m definitely blogging more regularly (three days off will do that to a person), and lighting candles every night. I’m going to brainstorm a few DIY projects, because I’m feeling a creative itch. I’m going to make it a goal to either read or create something over the next two weeks instead of watching Netflix every night.
- Work Life: I’m getting caught up at work after feeling like I was falling behind. I really hated feeling so down on myself. I was anxious and SUPER stressed out about work both before and after the holidays. I resented going into work and not accomplishing a single thing on my to-do list. I’ve since voiced my concern with my supervisors, sorted out my project priorities, and talked through a plan of attack. I feel much more calm and in control. I’m actually looking forward to quite a few of these projects, like our upcoming brochure design.
I hope you’re having a good weekend. Mine’s been in progress since Wednesday night, and I feel awfully lucky and pretty darn happy about it!